Centre Wellington Fire and Rescue responded to an apartment fire in Elora Saturday evening.

The call came in at approximately 6:30pm to the 5-unit building on Henderson Street. Smoke could be seen coming out of the window on the second floor.

Firefighters say they found a man unconscious inside the unit where the fire started. After pulling the unconscious man out of the building he did regain consciousness at the scene before being transported to Groves Memorial Hospital in Fergus.

A resident attempted to get the man out of the burning building before firefighters arrived but had to stop because of the thickness of the smoke.

Water used to take the fire out caused damage to the buildings electrical fixtures. As a result residents have not been allowed to return.


Officials believe the cause of the fire is cooking-related.